Thursday, June 5, 2014

Introducing the Girl with the Red Umbrella

The famous Sandlot “s’mores” conversation is a classic:
Ham: “Hey Smalls, you want a s’more?” 
Smalls: “Some more of what?” 
Ham: “You’re killing me, Smalls!” 

Headed to my first camp
visit!  Look for the Girl
with the Red Umbrella
at your camp soon.
When it comes to the time-honored camping tradition of roasting marshmallows, I am the ‘Smalls’ of my generation: clueless.  I am brand-new to the world of summer camp – because, surprisingly, I never attended summer camp as a child!  When I heard about all the exciting things that happen at camp, immediately I was hooked.  Needless to say, I am exceptionally eager see what camp is all about.

When I think of summer camp, I stereotypically think of bonfires, campfire songs, friendship bracelets, harmless gossip, and burgers hot off of the grill. But is this TRULY what happens at summer camp?  How will I know if I don’t give it a try?  I have the “summer camp itch.”  I need to go.

Luckily, Miss Maggie Allen here at Domokur Architects is a previous camp program director, as well as Mr. Greg Copeland who is recognized as a national camp design leader; maybe they can show me the ropes.  Or even better, maybe YOU can!  I’ll be visiting several summer camps in North Carolina over the next few weeks to learn all about the ins-and-outs of summer camp.  Leave us a comment or tweet @DomokurCamp if you want us to visit YOUR camp!

As Ham would say, “First you take the graham… then you roast the 'mallow… you stick it on the chocolate…then cover with the other end. Then you scarf. Kind of messy, but good! Try some!”

- Girl with the Red Umbrella



No comments:

Post a Comment