Monday, July 14, 2014

Paint Wars and More at Camp Crestridge

Thursday was a busy but adventurous day.  An hour down the road was my next stop to two camps: Camp Crestridge and Camp Ridgecrest.  Crestridge is an all-girls camp while Ridgecrest is all-boys.  They are both under the executive management of Ron Springs and are right next to each other.  I headed to Camp Crestridge first and was greeted by Sharon, the program director.  Her lively spirit assured me that I was in for a fun tour.  I requested that she show me everything at camp that makes them unique, and she did just that.

The dining hall was under renovation due to the growing number annual campers, but it still kept that “home away from home” vibe.  Sharon continuously mentioned how much the camp was growing.  More and more girls were wanting to partake in the summer camp experience, and she was thrilled!

The chapel, beautifully adorned with green and white stained glass.
Another extremely unique and beautiful structure was their chapel.  It was definitely a unique building, with a stunning stained glass focal point at the altar.  Renovations were also under discussion in order to accommodate the (growing) amount of campers.

The paint war is definitely a favorite!
I grew anxious as Sharon informed me about the next activity; something that I haven’t encountered at camp before: paint wars!  Each camper (there were about 70 on this day) is given a white t-shirt and as soon as the music starts, they completely let loose and throw washable paint onto each another.  And what is a paint war without a slip-n-slide?

Lastly, the most interesting building of all was the museum, which was only made possible by funds from alumni.  It contained miscellaneous collectibles from years' past.  What an everlasting way to remember history!

The museum that was built thanks to numerous alumni donations. 
Seeing the youth, especially young girls, bond with one another and create new friendships is surely refreshing.  Merely being in their presence evokes a smile that you can’t quite replicate anywhere else.  The positive and judgment-free atmosphere is contagious.

Extending my deepest gratitude to Sharon and Camp Crestridge is the least that I can do for allowing me a taste of their way of life, and I wish them all the best. Next stop: Camp Ridgecrest!


Thank you, Camp Crestridge!
-The Girl with the Red Umbrella

No comments:

Post a Comment